Situated just an hour outside of Cape Town, in Simons Town, you will meet our free roaming colony of unique and endangered African Penguins.
A dazzling backdrop to the Mother City rising up from the ocean and stretching all the way to Cape Point and the only New7Wonder of Nature to be found in a city, the iconic Table Mountain was formed under water more than 600 million years ago, when glacier movement created the flat Tabletop and tectonic force thrust the mountain upwards. The peak of this world famous table is Maclear’s Beacon, set at 1085m (3,563ft) above sea level.
A protected conservation area for over 100 years, Table Mountain is home to over 2200 endemic plant species, found only on Table Mountain and nowhere else in the world. Prepare to spot a few dassies AKA rock rabbits – which look like huge rats, but are in fact the closing living relative to the elephant, yup! as you indulge in the sweet scent of Fynbos and picturesque views for days. There are two equally exciting ways to experience this magnificent specimen of nature.
Table Mountain Aerial Cableway
The quickest and easiest would be to head up via the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway – established in 1929 – each rotating cable car gives up to 65 passengers a 360° view of the scenic landscape, as they’re whisked along a 1200 meter cable to reach the tabletop.
- When planning a trip up Table Mountain using the Cableway skip the queues by booking your tickets online.
- The best time for visitors to experience Table Mountain is after 2pm.
- Table Mountain is a world famous attraction so expect it to be busy most of the time.
- The Cableway is closed for anything from 60-90 days a year due to strong winds
- There is a Park and Ride service. Park your car at the parking area at the bottm of Tafelberg Road and hop aboard the 110 MyCiti shuttle bus at the Lower Tafelberg Road bus stop, just off Kloofnek Rd. (No bus card is necessary for the travel between the Lower and Upper Tafelberg Road Bus Stops)
- Find out if the cable car is open today here
FEELING BRAVE? Take on the worlds highest abseil at 112m high.
Tips for hiking Table Mountain
Table Mountain Hiking Trails
-Platteklip Gorge Trails/Cape of Good Hope 2 Day hiking trail
Maclears Beacon 1085m
A popular hiking trail in the Western Cape, the hike up Table Mountain is nothing less than spectacular. Bear in mind that we are inclined to rapid weather changes, so prepare accordingly.
Gets Cold on top
- Comfortable Hiking Shoes
- Reliable Map
- Charged Phone
- Hike in a group
- Carry at least 2l of water per person
- Have sunblock handy
- Head back way before dark
- Something Warm to wear
- Stay on demarcated paths
When you arrive at the top – 3 guided walks departing daily every hour on the hour from 9am-3pm.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat, light jacket.
IncludeRangers on PatrolSafe Beach
Not IncludedWedding VenueRock PoolsChildrens ActivitiesWine TrailsPre-Arranged PicnicsGuided Bird WalksInterpretive Marine WalksMTB TrailGuided Eco Quad Biking TrailWhale Watching
Situated in Simon’s Town, which can be reached via the M4 (Main Road) from the city centre, although getting to Muizenberg via the M3 or the M5 are both quicker in road time. From Muizenberg, the M4 continues via Fish Hoek to Simon’s Town.
History of the City
Website For information on what you can do to help the plight of the African Penguin please contact SANCCOB on : +27 (0) 21 557 6155.Contact SANPARKS Tel: +27 (0) 21 786 2329